We live for the simple pleasures in life. Touring around the world makes you realize that home is the best place to be, especially when there is a batch of this fresh-baked classic sugar cookie recipe to enjoy with your friends and family. This homemade sugar cookies recipe will sweeten things up any time!
Best Sugar Cookie Recipe
Sugar cookies should be soft, pillowy, and sweet. That’s why these are the best sugar cookies you can make. Just a few simple ingredients and you’ll be on your way to rockstar-status in your kitchen!
Easy Sugar Cookie Recipe
One of the best things about this simple sugar cookie recipe is how easy it is to make. With just a few ingredients and in less than 30 minutes, you can bake up a batch of these easy sugar cookies for anyone. Even if it’s just you and you want a treat, there’s nothing simpler or more rewarding than a fresh batch of soft sugar cookies!
Homemade Sugar Cookies Ingredients
- Flour – Use all-purpose flour for the base of your sugar cookie dough.
- Baking soda and baking powder – You’ll need both of these leavening agents for your best cookies.
- Butter – For sugar cookies, using salted butter is best. It brings out the sweetness. Make sure you soften it first though.
- Sugar – White sugar will bring the necessary sweetness to your cookies.
- Egg – Bind that cookie dough together!
- Vanilla extract – A must for every cookie, especially sugar cookies!
How do you Make Sugar Cookies from Scratch
To make this soft sugar cookie recipe, you’ll begin by preheating the oven to 350F and lining your baking sheets with parchment paper. Then you’ll put flour, baking soda, and baking powder in a medium mixing bowl. Grab another large mixing bowl and cream the butter and sugar until they’re smooth. Then add the egg and vanilla. Now you can gradually add the dry ingredients into the wet bowl until fully combined. Form the dough into balls and place on the baking sheets while slightly pressing down with your finger. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes until golden, then let them cool on baking sheet before moving to wire racks.
Expert Tips for the Perfect Soft Sugar Cookies Recipe Every Time
- Be gentle with the dough. Once you combine the wet and dry stuff together, don’t overbeat it.
- You can take this a step further by rolling the dough in sugar. Adding sugar on the exterior makes it even more of a sugar cookie though you don’t have to if you don’t want to. You can also sprinkle your sugar on to finish after removing them from the oven.
- Watch the edges. When you see them looking slightly golden, that’s the sign you need to take your homemade cookies out to cool.
What is a sugar cookie made of?
A classic sugar cookie recipe is made from flour, baking soda, baking powder, butter, sugar, egg, and vanilla extract.
What is the difference between a cookie and a sugar cookie?
Sugar cookies are made with many of the same ingredients as other cookies, particularly butter, sugar, flour, eggs, baking soda, baking powder, and vanilla. But it’s the ratios of these ingredients that make a difference.
What makes sugar cookies different?
Sugar cookies have a high ratio of flour to fat which makes them hold up to decorating. They also have a sweet taste that is delicious as-is but when topped with frosting and decorations, they become even more sensational.
Should sugar cookies be soft or crispy?
Sugar cookies should be soft and tender. It’s fine if they have a slight crisp on the edges outside but the interior should be a pillowy experience.
What makes a cookie soft and chewy or crispy?
Butter softens a cookie though using granulated sugar gives it a lightness. This is perfect for that crispy yet chewy sugar cookie texture.
What makes a cookie moist and chewy?
Moist and chewy cookies come from the amount of eggs and butter used. The more eggs, the chewier they will be.
What is the best thickness for sugar cookies?
Sugar cookies are also ideal for cutting into shapes and decorating. If you want to make them that way, you should roll the dough out to ¼-inch which is plenty of thickness to keep together through decorating.
What sugar is best for cookies?
White sugar is the best choice for your sugar cookies. It gives the cookies the perfect amount of sweetness.
What does eggs do to sugar cookies?
Eggs add moisture to the cookie dough and help it bond the starch and protein in the flour, giving the cookies a nice, chewy texture.
Do you need baking powder in sugar cookies?
You don’t need it but it does help. Otherwise your cookies take on a dense texture instead of that pillowy and light one.
What makes a sugar cookie dry?
A dry sugar cookie is the telltale sign of too much flour. Be sure that you are measuring your ingredients accurately to avoid this problem.
How do you make sugar cookie mix better?
If you want to use up a box of sugar cookie mix, you can add vanilla extract and butter. This will make them have a richer and more homemade taste.
Why are Lofthouse sugar cookies so good?
How Long to Bake Sugar Cookies?
At 350F, your sugar cookies will need to bake for 8 to 10 minutes. Watch those edges for the golden color and you’ll know they’re ready.
How to Store Sugar Cookies?
Sugar cookies are best kept in an airtight container on your counter or in your pantry. You can put them in the fridge too, but there’s no need for that.
How Long Do Sugar Cookies Last?
Sugar cookies have lasting power so you can enjoy them for about 2 weeks when you keep them in an airtight container on the counter.
Can You Freeze Sugar Cookies?
Yeah! Sugar cookies freeze astoundingly well. You can freeze them for up to 6 months which is a good idea ahead of all that holiday baking.
How to Thaw Sugar Cookies?
Take them out of the freezer. Then be patient while they come to room temperature.
Watch How To Make Sugar Cookies (Video)
Sugar Cookie Recipe
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup salted butter (softened)
- 1 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, and baking powder and mix until evenly combined.
- In a separate large mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar until smooth, then add the egg and vanilla. Gradually add in the dry ingredients until fully combined.
- Roll rounded teaspoons of dough into balls and place on baking sheets, pressing the balls down slightly with your index finger. Bake 8-10 minutes or until golden, then allow to cool on baking sheet before transferring to wire racks.
- Optional: roll balls of dough in sugar prior to baking or sprinkle additional sugar on after removing from the oven